Monday was prayer for Christians around the world imprisoned for their faith. Praying that God would strengthen, protect and encourage them.
Tuesday was prayer of God’s protection over pastors and evanglists spreading the gospel message in restricted and hostile nations.
Wednesday, our prayers were for God’s provision and encouragement for families of Christians who have been killed for living out their faith in Jesus.
Thursday, we prayed God will enable persecuted Christians to witness for Him, even witness to their persecutors.
Friday was prayer for the provision and safe delivery of Bibles to believers in hostile and restricted nations.
As we wind down a week of prayer focus on the persecuted church, today we pray for radio, television and internet ministries sending God’s Word over and through ‘closed’ borders. Pray the Holy Spirit will bring much fruit for their work.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 7TH
Although the Apostle Paul didn’t envision this context to his conviction, ministries in oppressed countries rely on different avenues of media to try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything they can to save some. They do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings (1 Corinthians 9:22-23).
Here are a few (albeit outdated) statistics about the effectiveness of internet evangelism – extrapolated by 5-10 years makes a statement about the potential reach into the more inaccessible people groups of the world:
- The potential audience for Christian radio programming is 99% of the world’s population, assuming good reception, availability of a radio, and a desire to find the programs. (Johnstone and Mandryk 2005, 7)
- Two of the largest Gospel radio broadcasters, Far East Broadcasting Company and Gospel for Asia, both receive around 1,000,000 listener responses each year. (Far East Broadcasting Company, 15; Gospel for Asia)
- There have been 4.1 billion viewings of the Jesus Film, representing about 3 billion individuals. More than 99% of the world’s population could view the film in a language they know. (Johnstone and Mandryk 2005, 7)
- In 2009 alone, Global Media Outreach, the internet outreach branch of Campus Crusade for Christ, reported over 10 million internet users came to faith in Christ through their websites. They also received close to 4 million emails. (Global Media Outreach)
- In one month alone, Trans World Radio saw over 500,000 downloads in China of their online broadcasts. (Libby, 2)
Global Media Outreach is a missions organization specifically focused on sharing the message of Jesus through media outlets to areas that are very challenging to infiltrate with missionaries.
Scriptures to pray over this medium of evangelism, for such a time as this:
Matthew 28:19-20 – Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
Acts 1:8 – But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
Isaiah 55:11 – It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
Isaiah 40:8 – The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever.
Romans 10:17 – So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ.